Blogaholic

Friday, November 5, 2010

Is it my duty/obligation or MY CHOICE?

I say it is MY CHOICE. To vote that is. I realize that many have suffered and won for women to vote. But it is still my choice of whether or not to vote. I came from a large voting family. Republican or Democrat, or what ever you were, you voted. Not me, in fact, I didn't register to vote until I was 26. Yep, I was that jaded. I hadn't seen many of the politicians do much of anything besides talk, and REALLY couldn't see what I could do to help.

Well then I became a nurse, and got involved in my union, so I needed to be involved in politics. Met my husband who at that time was a Republican. A Republican!

Since then I have become an Independent, as is my husband. Alot of time has gone by, and in the Era of BLAGO and the like, I vowed never to put another criminal in office. Now I know all those who say it is my obligation.....how dare I! But how are we to know who is criminal and who isn't. I've always said Hollywood bought the race for the president. Whether that is true or not I don't know. It sure seems like it though. Alot of hollywooders campaigned hard for President obama.

Getting back to the topic at hand. What I do feel is my obligation is to keep the criminals out of office. So is not voting the answer? I don't know. And do I have the right to complain, since I didn't vote. I think I do. There is still a first ammendment. I don't complain much anyway. To be truthful...unless a huge meteor crashes into the earth, I don't see much hope for a better economy. I'm sorry but there is no fix or cure all. We all live above our means, whether we want to admit it or not. Obama or any other president will not fix the mess we are in....so to say we won at any election at any point, is in my opinion a mute point.

Unless we can get on the right track, and things improve, jobs, growth, spending, smaller government, no one wins. Fix the homeless, domestic/elder/child abuse. Fix illiteracy. Fix the schools, quit arguing...and DO something. Until the politicians do. I am not voting. That's what I am doing.

Until next time.


Carole

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! I wouldn't say voting is an obligation, I would call it a privilege. I also don't think NOT voting will solve anything. What if everyone felt that way? Unfortunately a lot of people do. I think a lot of people vote against a candidate instead of for one, if you know what I mean. I sure didn't vote for Obama, but I really didn't vote for McCain, either, he was just the lesser of 2 evils. Unfortunately evil won. No he didn't create the mess we're in but he sure has made it worse. No, no quick fix to get us out of this mess, but if we could get the right people into office, they could start working on a fix to bring us back to being the great country we were not so long ago.