Blogaholic

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Mom was right!

I never thought I'd say it.  Never did I think I'd admit my mother was right about some things.  I'm still finding out about all the things she really was right about.  Recently I read an article in the AAA Living magazine.  Yep I'm that old!  I read everything.  In this magazine AAA living
5,376 pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes in 2015.  In 2016 15% of all motor vehicle deaths were pedestrians.  In the first 6 months of 2016, 2,660 pedestrian deaths occurred.  Mom was right, she always told us to be aware of our surroundings, not only for traffic but for other dangers, such as kidnapping, and robberies.   Today, we need to teach cell phone safety.  In other words, no chatting or browsing face book while walking around traffic.  Be vigilant, and not always on the phone while walking around.  The same dangers exist now, as they did when I was a teen    In 2015 74% of accidents with pedestrians occurred during dark times.  This is because drivers can't see pedestrians as well in the dark.  This is so true!  Recently I had someone dart across my driveway as I was pulling in.  They looked at me as if it were my fault, however, this pedestrian should have been wearing brightly colored clothes so he could be seen easier.  Fortunately, for the both of us, I was able to see him, and stop abruptly to avoid hitting him.  


My mother always taught me to cross at stoplights.  When I was about 10, I'd beg her to let me cross the busy streets in the middle like the other kids.  I didn't get to cross 53 until I was about 10.  She was right.  If you must cross an intersection without a stop light, wait until the traffic eases, and never assume the driver knows you are there.    Lastly, if you need to walk in the street because there are no sidewalks, walk facing oncoming traffic so you can protect yourself.  The walker wants to make eye contact with oncoming traffic so to make swift judgements about actions to take if necessary.  

When mom is right, mom is right.


~~~~~Until next time~~~~~~

Carole

No comments: